Monday, March 3, 2008

I Spy

BJ: I spy, with my little eye, something beginning with 'C'.

LILY: Do you really need those commas?

BJ: Should I go with the minimalist, open punctuation look? I spy with my little eye something beginning with 'C'. Or: I spy with my little eye, something beginning with 'C'.

LILY: Comma.

BJ: Huh?

LILY: That thing you're spying on. It's a comma.

BJ: How did you guess?

LILY: What else is left to spy on? We've been playing this game for eons. I wish you hadn't mistaken the Scrabble pieces for kibble.

BJ: All we have left in the games cupboard is Twister, but I think you need more than two players for that.

LILY: Who could we invite over to play?

BJ: Well, um, since you and Pinklepurr don't see eye to eye, we can't invite him. And you've never even spoken to his sister, Possum, because she's not allowed to wander. That leaves Stella.

LILY: That hound at number 32? The one who ate a wooden door?

BJ: Yep, her. Look, I know she's a bit scruffy--

LILY: And a completely different species.

BJ: But I think she's lonely. Let me call her.

LILY: I'm not having that mutt messing up my pristine white floors. You know how dogs are.

BJ: Stella? HEY, STELLA!

(silence)

LILY: She's probably busy devouring the garden shed.

BJ: HEY, STELLA!

LILY: Forget it, Brando. Let's try Possum.

BJ: What about Pinklepurr?

LILY: No way. He's from the wrong side of the tracks. Used to be a stray, you know. Explains a few things.

BJ: OK, but don't blame me if Pinkie comes knocking on the door because he feels out of the loop.

LILY: I'll handle him. You call out for little Possum.

BJ: She is small, isn't she? Be careful you don't crush her.

LILY (wide-eyed): Now, would I do a nasty thing like that?

Later, a quiet scratching sound...

BJ: Possum's here! I knew she'd come round.

LILY: Don't get too excited. We may be having a fun little game of Twister, but you must always be on your guard. Remember what Mum and Dad said - "Possum will seduce you with her disarming smile and eloquence - [they are] cunning and mischievous and will soon be running the neighbourhood."

BJ: Yeah, yeah. Hey, come look at what I spy through the peephole. Isn't she adorable? Don't you just want to eat her up?


LILY (grins slyly): Why, yes. Yes, I do.

No comments: